Tuesday 22 December 2015

Guest Interactions with a Child

I am mostly left to wonder when I watch a guest interact with a child!!

I hear the three standard questions asked to a child when a guest meets the child (in the same sequence):
  1. What’s your name?
  2. Which class are you in?
  3. Which school do you go to? 
I wonder because mostly the guest is lost on how to interact further, after the three questions are answered!

I have also seen the reactions of the child to these questions and the child is mostly relieved that she is granted permission to leave after the three questions!! Thank God! The embarrassment is over!

Let’s go over the entire interaction a little more in detail.

After the first question is answered, the response of the guest is usually something like, “Oh! Lovely”, “Good”, “Hmmmn”… The child, I am sure, is left wondering, "what’s good about my specific name!"

The second question is interesting in a different way. There are 3 possibilities:
  1. The child looks smaller than usual for her class
  2. The child looks larger than usual for her class
  3. The child looks normal (in the eyes of the guest!)
The response of the guest to the child’s answer in each case is something like, 

“Oh! 4th Standard! Wow!” 
or 
something like, “You said 2nd? Oh!”…

In either case, the child feels that something is wrong with her! Not a good situation to be in!

Regarding the third question, there are 2 possibilities:
  1. The school name is very familiar to the guest
  2. The school name is not familiar to the guest 
The response of the guest to the child’s answer is something like, 

“Oh! Great!” 
or 
“Which school? Come again?”… 

In the first case, the child feels special, BECAUSE of the school (not because of something special ABOUT HER) and in the second case, the child feels low again!

At this point, usually, one of the parents would intervene and say something like, “She is attending music class or dance class etc.”… Then the guest says, “Really?”… The child thinks, “Of course! You think my parent is telling lies?”… Then the adult asks, “Can you sing a song for me?”; the child wonders, “Why should I? He doesn’t seem to know music!”

Lucky every child has the maturity not to say the thoughts aloud!! Blessed guests!

Sometimes, the parent says, “She is a topper in her class”! Then the guest says, “Great! Keep it up!” (many times, in such a scenario, the guest feels low or says something like, “even my son is a school topper” and ends up feeling better--after all, who is going verify!!).

If you closely observe the entire interaction (which is almost always repeated with every guest!!), the child is made to ONLY respond to precise close-ended questions and also to do just what is told!! Of course, if the child chooses to exercise her free-will to refuse to do what is told, she would face disciplinary action after the guest leaves since the parent feels that their child has brought down his/her pride and prestige!! 

There are times, when the child takes a little more time to respond to the standard questions, may be because she is frustrated at such interactions or because she is angry at her own helplessness on such situations—and the parent prods the child very quickly to respond—wondering why is my child so slow in response (not realizing that the problem could be genetic!!!)

The harsh truth in this whole scenario is that the guest lacks “conversation skills” and the parent lacks “parenting skills”!!

The child is indeed perfectly okay!

I have surely made similar blunders, as a guest/parent, and I have thought through it.

Some years ago, after my enlightenment (!!), I tried something different when I went to my friend’s house and he introduced his 8-year young daughter. I said, “You name must be Angel! You look like one!”… First, I noticed that the child was taken aback at NOT being asked a question! Then I saw the child feeling shy and good about herself; she said, “No, my name is Sruti!”. But, I could see that she way visibily happy!

I said, “I will still remember you as Angel and call you so. Is it okay?”… I deliberately avoided questions on her school and class; I also sat on the floor, met her eye-to-eye, smiled and gave a nice high-five and moved on…

Apparently, Angel keeps asking her father when I would visit again!! 

We all have the responsibility to build Self-esteem in not just our own children but also in every child we interact with, through every interaction.



“Our children are not our children. They are creations of cosmic longing to express in different ways!!”

~~ adapted from Khalil Gibran’s work

7 comments:

  1. Wow. What an observation. That's exactly what we end up doing every time and didn't even realise what children go through in such interactions. This is truly transformational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What an observation. That's exactly what we end up doing every time and didn't even realise what children go through in such interactions. This is truly transformational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These days children answer with a boring expression or a smile...but if there was a blurb on their head it would read 'ANOTHER IDIOT'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ranga, I asked the same 3 questions today morning to a child. The humorous insightful blog brings thoughtfulness on the intention behind asking such a question and how this should be different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought provoking.. I know I ask these questions to start with.. Makes me wonder what else I ask during my conversation with children.. We all speak about building conversational skills while talking with adults.. Guess we should build it holistically too, across different people..

    ReplyDelete