Monday 12 January 2015

Commitment is Over-valued!!

Statutory Warning: This article is provocative!!

I have read enough about the power of positive attitude and related Gyan!

In my 2 decades of corporate training experience, I have met diverse people—that makes me think if words like attitude, commitment etc., are over-valued, in relation to Competence!

The word "Competence" is inextricably linked to the word "Role"; hence, let me take a common role, say, “Parent” as an example.

In a professional setup, one is not given a role unless one is “formally” trained to don that role. But, one tends to take on the role of a “Parent”, without any formal training—many tend to use “assumed competence”!!

It is easy to become a “Father”… but not that easy to be a “Parent”…

I have taken this role as an example since “Commitment” to this role can never be questioned in most parents! Most parents are indeed totally committed to their children’s welfare, success, growth etc… But, the gap is in the degree of “Competence”, in many cases!

Let’s consider some situations here:

-     How to handle a situation if the child brings the lunch box without eating the lunch fully?
o   Here, if one yells at the child or pulls up the child, the child DOES NOT learn to eat the lunch, but learns to empty the box in the trash can and bring it back, the next time!!
-     
      How to handle a child that argues back with the same logic or words that the parent had  used earlier, albeit in a different context?
o   How the parent handles the child at this point determines many aspects of the future behaviour/conditioning in the child!
-    
      How to “Influence” the child rather than “Control” the child?
o   Many parents try and control the child by the power of their position, without realising the loss of key factors such as Rapport, Trust etc. in the bargain!! Many parents do not have the basic knowledge on child psychology and hence are not aware of the truth that the entrance to the Mind is through the Heart!! It is key knowledge that children learn ONLY from people whom they “like”!!
-    
      How to discipline the child, without losing rapport and compassion?
o   As the famous quotation goes, “Spare the rod and spoil the child”… While it is imperative that every child needs to be disciplined at some stage, the actual “how” of it is sheer Competence.

In all the above examples, it is clear that Specific Competence is very essential, while mere Commitment cannot deliver results!! In fact, excessive commitment with much less competence leads one to frustration, anger and similar corrosive emotions.

While it is commonly understood that, it is always the mix of both commitment and competence that produces sustained results, the “right mix” is the point of discussion here.  It is in the context of the “mix” that I think Commitment is Over-valued!!

Pls don’t get me wrong—I am NOT saying that Positive Attitude or Commitment is not required!!

Many organisations today are measuring the “Potential/Attitude” of a person and are taking key decisions based on this parameter than on Competence!! Of what value is Potential if it does not get converted to Competence / Performance / Results?

After all, Potential Energy has to be converted to Kinetic Energy! Right?

Many organisations are giving senior roles to people who have demonstrated commitment to the company—at that level, competence takes a much higher weightage. Isn’t it? Many top leaders are very hesitant/embarrassed to sideline such committed people in favour of Competent Successors who could even be much junior!!

Weighing Commitment as much more valuable than Competence is a sure recipe for disaster, according to me!

In fact, the word “Commitment” requires a thorough dissection. I will share my thoughts in my next post…


3 comments:

  1. My perspective - If there is one role that has no training that is done, it is that of a parent.. Each one of us work on a trial and error method and if there is one person who helplessly goes thru this in the first few years of its life, it is children.. I believe that every couple who are 'to be parent', should go thru a conscious learning phase on what it is to be a parent :-)
    One BIG difference as I see between parenting and a professional role is that, if I DO NOT like my role or the company I work for I have the choice to call it quits.. this is not as easy for a parent.. A parent may minimise the commitment but may not call it quits..


    ReplyDelete
  2. On the aspect of commitment and competence, some thoughts..

    We always hear that commitment is more an innate trait while competence can be built.. It is hence easier to build competence and a challenge to build commitment to one who does not display the same..
    In my perspective, commitment brings the emotional component while competence brings in logic as well.. It is critical for one to have both the components and balance it in the right proportion across the various situations..
    In my professional life, I have donned different roles primarily due to the commitment I have displayed.. However, the competence for the different roles took an inordinately long time to build and at times, I am not sure if I was able to build the competence at all.. This is despite the fact that I was given a loooooonnnng rope.. This has repercussions on the organization and the people associated with me, in my given roles.. Quite a few people associated with me were more competent than me and this was building a big gap.. Management has its own expectations that needed to be delivered and this obviously was not being met, due to inadequate competence.. The impact has wide and deep implications on every stake holder.. As for me, I am still battling to rebuild my self esteem..
    A person with commitment but with inadequate competence needs a lot of hand holding.. This hand holding consumes a lot of effort and time from the person who gives the hand holding.. And when all this DOES NOT lead to the expected results, it leads to immense frustration..
    There is too much at stake..




    ReplyDelete